Monday, April 27, 2015

Ubuntu 14.04 - Canon E500 network printing and scanning at home

Recently switch my Mom machine from Windows 7 to Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 which's my favorite one. So I need to share Canon E500 (USB) printing and scanning for my other devices over Network.
I set this host with static IP: 192.168.1.10

Install Canon E500 driver

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inameiname/stable
sudo apt-get update -y
sudo apt-get install -y cnijfilter-e500series scangearmp-e500series

Now I can add the printer from Printer Config
For Scanner: I use ScanGear instead of Simple Scan

Sharing Printer

This step is share printing service over network
Cups printing running on port 631 localhost -> go to CUPS admin at http://localhost:631/admin
In the Server part setting: Check these options
  • Share printers connected to this system
  • Allow printing from the Internet
  • Allow remote administration
  • Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)  //this is my home purpose
=> Change Settings -> wait for Cup restarting

Manage E500 printer via CUPS. Now we need to access CUPS by its IP address, I also leave the printer name as E500-series
http://192.168.1.10:631/printers  make sure the printer E500-series is available otherwise add it to
From here you can print any test pages, maintenance, etc...I don't need to set any allowed user. Just me and my mom

Sharing Scanner

On the server (E500 connect directly via USB) tell sane to run as server
sudo vi /etc/default/saned
Run=no -> Run=yes

Allow user from my subnet
sudo vi /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
## Access list
192.168.1.0/24

service saned restart

On the client
sudo vi  /etc/sane.d/net.conf
## saned hosts
192.168.1.10
connect_timeout = 60

Open Xsane and wait for Scanner discovery

0 comments:

Post a Comment